How They Train!
Katie Sherron - February 2015
Did you compete in high school cross country or track?
- I ran track all four years (300m hurdles and 4x400 relay) and cross country my last two years in Michigan.
Did you compete in college cross country or track?
My freshman and sophomore year at a DIII school in Michigan I put a lot of effort into the 100m hurdles. I was not successful; turns out I’m short and white.
How many years have you been running?
I stopped for almost a decade after college but have been running and competing regularly in Tallahassee since 2010.
Lifetime personal records
- 5K - 18:07
- 10K - 39:20
- Half Marathon - 1:23:15
- Marathon - 3:15
- 50K - 4:19
What running events do you train for or what are your training goals?
I enjoy running 5Ks because you can hop in one every weekend. But the half marathon is my favorite distance.
Consider your training over the past 6 months to one year. How many miles a week do you typically run when not injured and consistently running?
What does your typical week of running look like?
- Monday: off or 4 easy; lift at Leach; walk Dixie 3 miles in the evening
- Tuesday: 3 warm up, 3 intervals at Maclay or FSU, 3 cool down
- Wednesday: 6 – 8 easy; lift; walk 3
- Thursday: 4 – 6 easy; lift
- Friday: 2 warm, 6 tempo (steady pace or cruise intervals with short rest), 2 cool; walk 3
- Saturday: 6 easy at the ARP or race!
- Sunday: 13 – 18 easy
When I’m in shape, easy pace is under 8:00 minute per mile. Intervals are under 6:00, and tempo is somewhere around 6:30.
How does your training vary over the course of a year?
I have more time to run in the summer, but when I travel my mileage drops.
Do you take recovery or down time?
I’ll take a few rest or easy days after a big race.
Do you peak for certain races?
I try! This year I trained hard for Bostons (MA and GA). I love the competitive environment surrounding the Tallahassee Big Three: Springtime, Palace, Turkey Trot.
How much sleep do you usually get at night?
We all shoot for 8 hrs, right?
What time of day do you normally run?
What injuries have hampered your training over the past year?
A couple years ago my Achilles tendon flared when I upped volume and intensity at the same time.
What type of running shoes do you prefer?
Do you race in a different type of running shoe?
Do you use weight training?
- Upper body and core 3x per week.
Do you stretch?
What are your favorite running routes?
- I love running on FSU’s campus, seeing the sunrise over the stadiums and pretending I’m a talented collegiate athlete. I run tempos on the St Marks trail. Since Zach and I live right across from the ARP, we run there a lot too.
What running resources do you like that would benefit someone else?
Jack Daniels Running Formula
What examples can you give of specific training methods, and what were the results?
I need interval work on the track to be my best at any distance. In the past, I’ve dropped speed work when I was marathon training (or just being lazy), which was a mistake. I’ve cut my mileage goals as well; I get slower if I run much over 60 per week. Finally, I walk my dog 9 – 15 miles per week which I think aids recovery.
What advice do you have for beginning or experienced runners to help them with their training?
Be consistent. Not surprisingly, if you do the same thing over and over again, you’ll get better at it.